Jude’s 2020 Photo Challenge #12: Texture
This month we are going to look at textures. While the structure of an object is its form, the material from which it is made constitutes its texture. Is it hard or soft, smooth or rough? You are aiming at translating texture visually, bringing life and energy to a photo through shape, tone and colour. Study the texture and forget about the object. Texture becomes the subject here.
- Try contrasting rough against smooth
- Shoot at different times of the day. Does it change the effect?
- Capture details – like the fibres in a rope or a carpet.
- Try altering the angle of light to avoid flat and dull images. You might be able to do this with your editing software too.
- Use different angles to discover how much texture appears.
This weeks assignment: Try to mix your texture with other colours and patterns
A bit of contrast of textures, not many colours but perhaps patterns in a way. Found while at a river crossing where a flood came through a few week ago. Photographed from the low level bridge on a bright sunny day. Image is unaltered.