The screen door is a reclaimed part of my childhood. No longer used in the family home it made its way here. The screen door was used on the first “house” I built. It made the journey to this house, albeit with a few dodgy repairs, and was on the front door until it started to show signs of wear.
Relegated to a shed and neglected. I was always going to fix that screen door up one day. Years passed and the lack of a good work space where things could get started and a place where the job could sit if it needed time for repairs to set.
The screen door made its way to the shed in a very sorry state
Some of the timber surrounds that held the screen wire in place were missing
and some were broken and all of them were unusable. The hinges were quite rusty
I remember the oval enamel house number in the centre of the door. I don’t know where that went unfortunately. The handle is beyond repair too as I like that one. I think my Dad made it.
Into the shed and onto the trestles. Time to take off the timber surrounds, hinges, handle and remnants of the old screen wire
A good sanding but not back to the original wood. I left a lot of the old paint and roughness as I didn’t want to erase all of the doors history. And a re-glue of the frame and clamping to make it sturdy once more.
All tidied up and a few coats of paint.
Now to attach the screen wire. Just used staples as the new timber surrounds will hold the wire in place.
What I didn’t do was to take photos of the cutting of the timber surrounds and that part of the process to hold the wire in place.
Here is the door put installed this morning after a bit of getting everything ready yesterday afternoon
The door behind the screen door was the front door of my childhood home as well.